Making mountains out of molehills…
Your perception and how you perceive the situation is the number one stressor in an individual’s life.
If you think you can control a situation – you will!
If you think you can’t control the circumstances – you won’t!
Let’s talk about some Hidden Sources of Stress:
1. Habitual Thinking (I can’t do this. I’m never going to learn this. Everybody’s smarter than me).
2. Criticizing yourself (Boy am I dumb. I should know this by now. I am so overweight).
3. Obsessing over failures (Won’t let go of certain thoughts – I should have been a better parent. I wish I had gone to college but it’s too late now. I wish I knew then what I know now).
4. Fearing (I can’t go on the trip because I’m scared of water, heights, airplanes, etc. Fear of meeting new people, accepting new assignments, speaking in front of others).
5. Doubting (I can’t, I’m not capable, I’m not qualified. I’m not smart, pretty/handsome enough).
6. Controlling (My way or hit the highway. Has hands in everything and nose in everybody’s business; telling others the best way to handle ‘their’ issues).
7. Building mountains out of molehills (Gets nervous and anxious over minor situations creating havoc -the issue could have been solved with a phone call but you scheduled an all-staff meeting).
The list above are negative traits – get rid of the negatives and start practicing the positive.
Ask yourself what is causing you to feel the way you do and why are you experiencing those negative feelings.
What caused me to be so fearful (think back to your past) and why am I fearing this situation?
Why am I putting myself down and so critical of myself?
What would I have done differently as a parent? A spouse? Or if I had gone to college?
Try to discover the reasons for the negative thinking and resolve to change it to positive today –
Make lemonade out of lemons!
Determine your ‘perceptions’ relating to the above seven traits.
Decide that you ‘will’ handle the situations.
Get rid of the ‘hidden stressors’ controlling your life.