Below are six ways you can change how you communicate:
1. Change your negative self-talk and irrational thinking to positive self-talk and logical thinking –
Instead of saying “I can’t do anything right,” say, “I can do all things through Christ or I am a competent individual.”
2. Examine your personal performance expectations –
Let go of the perfectionism, and set accomplishable goals.
3. Work on raising your self-esteem by doing number one above –
Hang around people that value your worth and boost your self-confidence.
Take self-esteem building classes.
4. Learn to communicate effectively. Practice active listening and assertiveness –
STOP preparing in your mind how you are going to respond.
Instead ‘hear’ what the other person is saying, and parrot back to make sure you understand.
5. Practice anger management if you have an issue with a quick temper.
Count to ten before you respond.
Practice relaxation techniques.
Do deep diaphragmatic breathing.
Be slow to respond.
6. Identify and eliminate your anxiety-producing beliefs –
Look at your cultural and value system, and determine if any beliefs taught as a child creates anxiety in certain situations.